Because Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is the primary economic security program that low-income older adults rely on, we focus on protecting and improving this program and training advocates to advise their clients on qualifying and applying for SSI.
SSI Materials and Information
The SSI program, administered by SSA, can be an economic lifeline for low-income older adults as it provides a very basic income to pay for shelter, food, and other necessities. The program has complicated rules, requirements, and restrictions, so we provide materials, trainings, and general information to help advocates navigate that complexity with their clients and stay informed about changes to or systemic problems with the program.
- Advocate Guide: In-Kind Support and Maintenance in the Supplemental Security Income Program
- Recorded Webinar: In-Kind Support and Maintenance in the Supplemental Security Income Program
- Supplemental Security Income 101: A Guide for Advocates
- SSI Hill Briefing May 2018
- SSI 45th Birthday Statement from Justice in Aging
- SSI Fact Sheet
- SSI Basics Training
- SSI information for California Advocates
- Article: Social Security and Supplemental Security Income 101
- Understanding Supplemental Security Income Guide
- Social Security Act: 42 U.S.C. §§ 1381-1383f
- SSI Regulations: 20 C.F.R. §§ 416.101 – 2227
Supplemental Security Income Restoration Act of 2019
We believe that no senior should have to choose between food and medicine, become homeless, or lack heat in the winter. We’ve been working with members of Congress to garner support for the Supplemental Security Income Restoration Act of 2019. Justice in Aging is the leading advocacy organization focused on updating the cornerstone poverty program for low-income seniors and people with disabilities.